The headliner of award-winning dance crew talks dance and travel ahead of a busy month
Philippine Allstars hip hop momma Lema Diaz talks dance and travel, as the group gears up for Fête de la Musique on June 23 in Manila.
1. Favourite dance move? The real Harlem shake
2. Essentials when you’re dancing? Good music and comfy shoes
3. Top tip for aspiring dancers? Respect the modality, put your personality into it while you master it and pass that knowledge to the next generation.
4. Top dance memory? Winning the 2006 and 2008 World Hip Hop Dance Championships
5. Top inspirations when you’re dancing? Fellow Filipino dancers and the kids growing up in this dance culture
6. Dream dance crew? Only my crew, the Philippine Allstars
7. Window or aisle seat in an airplane? Window
8. Best way to pass time on long flights? Music and movies, and yet more movies
9. Light or heavy packer? Definitely heavy!
10. Planned or spontaneous travel? Spontaneous! I usually book my ticket a day before I fly
11. First leisurely thing you do in a new destination? Coffee & food!
12. Preferred travel camera: DSLR or phone? Smartphone
13. Most ‘Instagrammable’ place you’ve been to? Japan
14. Hotels or hostels? Hotels
15. City, beach or countryside? Beach! I love my vitamin sea!
16. Best road trip music? Erykah Badu, live at the 2012 Java Jazz Festival in Jakarta
17. What would you be if you weren’t a dancer? A fashion designer who makes clothes for dancer
18. First event you ever danced in? My ballet recital, when I was five years old
19. Most memorable event you’ve traveled to see live? The 2010 edition of Juste Debout, an international hip hop dance event in Paris
20. One favorite thing about dance? It’s fun and it keeps me young and healthy
This article first appeared in the June 2018 issue of Smile magazine.