How to be more environment-conscious on your next shopping trip
No need to stop shopping, says SCAD design school professor and sustainability advocate Cristina Kountiou, but being more mindful helps prevent impulse buying on your next trip to Asia’s top shopping destinations, such as Hong Kong and Bangkok.
1. Ask yourself the following questions before every purchase:
- How well is the item made?
- How long will it last?
- Have you got anything similar?
- How many times will you wear it?
2. Get informed about how things are produced. What do you know about a company’s production standards and ethics? Where are its factories located and how do they treat their workers?
3. Consider reselling items if you’ve only ever worn them a couple of times. Try platforms like Vestiaire Collective or Hula, or donate to a second-hand or charity shop. If it’s a piece you rarely wear but want to keep, consider renting it out.