The ice cream entrepreneur reveals what’s in his travel bag
1. Jacket. “Inflight temperatures can vary, so I always pack a hoodie or jacket to make sure I don’t feel too cold.”
2. Camera. “I love to take pictures while out on an adventure.”
3. 8mm fish-eye lens. “This is a really fun way to look at a place.”
4. Phone. “It has translation apps that I use when I get stuck in a sticky spot.”
5. Laptop. “Can’t shoot and not edit the pictures, right? I also have to keep up with my emails.”
6. Cash. “I usually carry a couple of different currencies just to be sure.”
7. Business cards. “I always pack these because I never know who I’m going to meet.”
8. Wireless headphones. “I’m a nervous flyer. Listening to my playlist helps calm me down.”
. . .
Q&A with Brett on his ice cream biz
Late last year, Brett, along with three business partners, Anton, Ben and Shav, took on a master franchise of Adelaide’s St Louis House of Fine Ice Cream & Dessert — famous for its ice cream, waffles and crêpes — and set up shop in Bonifacio Global City where it’s fast becoming a dessert hotspot.
What are the café’s best sellers?
Brett: For food, I recommend the St Louis-flavored ice cream, made of dulce de leche, honeycomb and white chocolate, and the strawberry Nutella crêpe. For the drinks, Australian-style coffee, of course.
Anything new that we can expect soon?
Brett: We’re working on a new mobile unit so we can also hit the local events catering scene and show what our ice cream is all about. We’re also in the process of reducing our single-use plastics and moving away from things like plastic straws.
Watch out for the café’s ice cream cart around Metro Manila from September 2018 onwards.
. . .
Brett recommends three cafés around his Makati City neighborhood
- Yardstick. “I love the coffee there. They actually supply the roasted beans at St Louis. It’s my go-to café whenever I need a pick-me-up.
- The Curator. “It’s great for coffee. I also love that they turn into an awesome little cocktail bar at night — the best of both worlds!”
- Bucky’s. “They’re more of a bistro, but they do a great soft-serve ice cream, and their brownie crossovers are great too.”