Where to stay
- Amasya Guesthouse, Unit #15 Marcel Bldg, 2355 Santo Entierro St, Angeles City; +63 905 524 0509; www.amasyaguesthouse.weebly.com. Affordable private or dorm-style accommodation in the historical and market district of Angeles City.
- Holiday Inn Clark, Mimosa Leisure Estate, Mimosa Dr, Clark Freeport Zone, Angeles City; +63 2 845 1888; www.holidayinn.com/clark. Minutes away from Mimosa Golf and Country Club, making it an ideal base for golfers.
- Hotel Stotsenberg, Clark Freeport Zone, Mabalacat City; +63 917 829 6663; www.hotelstotsenberg.net. A comfortable option just five minutes away from the Diosdado Macapagal International Airport.
- Mango Valley Hotel, Lot 7A/7B, Boton Lights & Science Park, Dewey Ave, CBDA, Subic Bay Freeport Zone, Olongapo; +63 47 252 7969; www.mangovalleyhotel.com. Clean and spacious rooms in a relatively new facility.
- Widus Hotel and Casino, 5400 Manuel A. Roxas Highway, Clark Freeport Zone; +63 45 499 1000; www.widus.com. Adults can head to the popular casino, while kids can have fun on the slide at the large swimming pool.
- Winds Boutique Hotel, 2537 A. Santos St, Angeles City; +63 908 593 5741; www.windshotel.com. A modern yet homely hotel with spacious, whitewashed rooms, and an outdoor swimming pool.
Where to eat
- Amo Yamie Crib Coffee and Movie House, 2404 RBC Bldg, Sto. Entierro St, Sto. Cristo, Angeles City, Pampanga; +63 45 436 7883; facebook.com/AmoYamieCrib/. Cool off at this quirky restaurant – a fairytale café and movie house rolled into one – with any of its milk or fruit teas.
- Binulo Restaurant, Bldg. 6410-6413, Manuel A. Roxas Highway, Clark Freeport Zone, Mabalacat City; +63 45 499 2238. Popular for its authentic Kapampangan dishes like paco (fiddle head fern) salad, pangat na ulang (freshwater prawns in sour broth), and kare-kare (oxtail stew).
- Cely’s Carenderia, MacArthur Highway, San Isidro, San Fernando City; +63 925 508 0873. Signature Kapampangan dishes include crab omelet, buro at mustasa (fermented rice with mustard leaves) and batute (stuffed frog).
- Cafe Fleur, L-463B Miranda St, Brgy Sto. Rosario, Angeles City; +63 995 313 8413; facebook.com/cafefleur.ph. For inventive, French-inspired Kapampangan dishes, such as crispy pork belly macadamia kare-kare.
- Iguana’s Cantina Mexicana, 50 Don Juico Ave, Anunans, Angeles City; +63 45 405 0449; www.angeleseyes.com/Iguanas. Head here for authentic Mexican fare, such as jam-packed burritos and refreshing margaritas, that won’t break the bank.
- Matam-Ih, Lot 1 D, E Jacinto St, M.A. Roxas Highway, Clark Freeport Zone, Angeles City; +63 45 499 2382; facebook.com/matamihresto. Try the restaurant’s exotic crocodile and frog dishes if you dare!
- Meat Plus Café, Building 65, Sampson Rd, Subic Bay Freeport Zone, Olongapo; +63 45 455 1477; www.facebook.com/MeatplusSF. Sink your teeth into American-style burgers and steaks at this popular joint.
- Mequeni Restaurant, Mimosa Dr, Angeles City; +63 2 845 1888; facebook.com/mequenirestaurant. Go for its buffet, which serves a sumptuous spread of both Kapampangan and international dishes.
- Rodizio Rooftop Grill, Holiday Inn Clark, Mimosa Leisure Estate, Clark Freeport Zone, Angeles City; +63 2 845 1888; facebook.com/rodiziorooftopgrill. A barbecue restaurant offering all-you-can-eat churrascaria (grilled meats sliced from skewers).
- Spanglish Restaurant, Pavilion Mall Building, Manuel A. Roxas Highway, Clark Freeport Zone, Mabalacat City; +63 45 286 1281; facebook.com/spanglishrestaurant. Hands down the best Mexican food in Pampanga.
- Susie’s Cuisine, SM City Clark, Manuel A. Roxas Highway, Clark Freeport Zone, Angeles City. Stock up on pasalubong such as pastries, famous Pampanga tocino and tibok-tibok (carabao milk pudding) here.
- Yu Ganne 2 Samgyeopsal Galbi, HU Building Mekong Corner, Friendship Korean Town, Brgy Anunas, Angeles City. Dine on unlimited Korean samgyeopsal (grilled pork belly) with eight different side dishes like kimchi, miso soup, and potatoes – all for just PH250 per person.
- 1956 Downtown Cafe, 1 Plaridel St, NEPO Quad, Angeles City; +63 917 535 9198; www.baledutung.com/index.htm. The classic Panpagueno dishes here, such as the nine-spice crispy duck, will delight your tastebuds.
What to do
- Air Force City Park, Andres Bonifacio Ave, Mabalacat City; +63 45 599 2486. Marvel at (and snap photos of) old airplanes and helicopters.
- CDC Parade Grounds, Clark Freeport Zone, Mabalacat City. Ride your bike, play ball games or simply settle under a tree with a good book at this sprawling park.
- Deca Wake Park, Jose P Laurel Ave, Angeles City; +63 905 330 1013; www.decawakeboardpark.com. Experience the adrenaline-pumping thrill of wakeboarding at Deca Park, the newest watersport destination in Clark.
- Dinosaurs Island, Gil Puyat Ave, Clark Freeport Zone, Mabalacat City; www.clarklandph.com. Go way back in time at this animatronic theme park, which features life-sized dinosaur exhibits.
- Miyamit Falls, Porac; www.facebook.com/miyamitfalls. For a challenging but ultimately rewarding trek. Plan your visit ahead of time, as you’ll need to secure a permit at the Porac Municipal Hall.
- Museum of Philippine Social History, Santo Entiero St, Angeles City; +63 45 304 4042; facebook.com/MuseumOfPhilippineSocialHistory. Gain insights into the lives of ordinary citizens at this museum, where the exhibits run the gamut from textiles and utensils to traditional Filipino games.
- Nayong Pilipino, Centennial Rd, Clark Field, Mabalacat City; +63 943 553 2414; facebook.com/nayongpilipinosaclarkexpo. Learn more about Philippine culture and tradition at this 45-acre park, which is even divided into the country’s geographical areas.
- Paradise Ranch, Sacobia Valley, Clark Highlands, Clark Freeport Zone, Angeles City; +63 45 499 5541; paradiseranchofclark.com. Explore several gardens and even a walk-through aviary at this conservation park. Your little ones can also feed animals by hand for a small fee.
- Puning Hot Spring Resort, Sitio Target, Brgy. Sapang Bato, Angeles City, Pampanga; +63 919 339 2795; facebook.com/PuningHotSpringAndRestaurant. Soak in thermal waters or enjoy a sand bath at this relaxing retreat.
- Puregold Duty Free Angeles, P. Kalaw St corner C. M. Recto Highway, Clark Freeport Zone, Angeles City; +63 45 599 2349. At this mall, you’ll find everything from kitchenware to sports memorabilia and even vinyl records.
- SandBox, Alviera, Porac, Pampanga; alviera.ph/sandbox. If you’re feeling adventurous, drop by this enormous outdoor playground, where myriad activities like ziplining and the country’s highest swing will get your adrenaline pumping.