Where to stay
Where to eat
- Minanoi, 33 Peel St, Collingwood; This cute little Japanese café has a relaxed atmosphere and feels calm and nourishing.
- Tahina, 223 High St, Northcote; A cheap and delicious lunch and dinner spot serving vegetarian Israeli street food in a casual and intimate bar-like setting.
- The Rooks Return, 201 Brunswick St, Fitzroy; It’s cozy, full of locals and hosts the occasional live performance.
- Marion, 53 Gertrude St, Fitzroy; This wine bar is the perfect place to sample some top wines from surrounding regions of Victoria and abroad.
- Higher Ground, 650 Little Bourke St, CBD; Top-quality brunch spot with an award-winning design.
- N Lee Bakery, 220 Smith St, Collingwood; Get delicious banh mi from this Vietnamese bakery on Smith Street.
- Heartbreaker, 234 Russell St, CBD; Great cocktails and it even has a pool table to keep you entertained.
- Mister Miyagi, 99 Chapel St, Windsor; Some of the best Asian fusion food the city has to offer.
- The Black Pearl, 304 Brunswick St, Fitzroy; Good luck having just one drink here — it’s famous for trapping people into the early hours.
What to do
- Uncle Joe’s, 325 Lygon St, Brunswick East; A real local where you can listen to vinyl and have a cozy catch-up with friends.”
- The Tote, 71 Johnston St, Collingwood; An absolute institution of a live music venue.
- Arts Centre Melbourne, 100 St Kilda Rd, Southbank; For entertainment, I’d hit up the Arts Centre — there are always interesting shows on offer.
- Open Studio is a cozy bohemian bar and crêperie dedicated to gypsy music, cabaret and jazz. 204 High St
- Bar 303 is a casual, eclectic space with comfy retro furniture and a ‘70s vibe. It’s also the best place to soak up new work by Northcote’s emerging musicians. 303 High St
- The Wesley Anne is housed in a former church. Enjoy craft beer and pub grub by the fire under soaring ceilings. 250 High St
- Fashion with an ethical ethos, Vege Threads creates simple organic basics for everyday wear. This label is 100% Australian-made using eco-friendly materials. They also support local knitting mills and dye houses. 246 High St
- Green Horse boutique features beautiful brands with purpose. They offer unique clothing, gorgeous things for your home and skincare — all of which are chemical free, sustainable and “good for the planet”. 255 High St
- Obus has grown a reputation, over 20 years, for unexpected colors, bold prints and quality clothes. Most of their collection is designed and made upstairs from the retail shop. 285 High St