With everyone working from home — and playing from home — you must have by now had a taste of the oversharing of activity in the world of Nintendo’s Animal Crossing: New Horizons. From the charming, relaxing, at-leisure gameplay, to the funny, cheeky and witty dialogue, ACNH, which largely follows the format of its previous editions, has amassed a host of new fans. While some players have made new friends (that perhaps outside of lockdown, would’ve been harder to come by), others have ruminated over the ins and outs of the game and found new creative streaks. In the short period that it has been released, the game has become one of the Nintendo’s top 10 Switch titles of the year; and going into lockdown, it caused console supplies to dwindle for a bit.
Among the latest players to hop on the ACNH bandwagon are the forward-thinking bunch behind Singapore’s Sentosa Island brand. From last year’s successful Pokémon GO Safari Zone event, they’ve now partnered with Nintendo to create a perfectly terraformed and decked-out island — modeled after the real thing.
The limited-time Sentosa Crossing atoll (welcoming players until June 1, 2020) is accessible via ACNH’s trusty Dodo Airlines and comes complete with photo ops and landmarks including the Capella Singapore hotel, Ola Beach Club, S.E.A. Aquarium, Siloso Beach and the Skyline Luge Sentosa attraction — almost everything you would see if you were there in person. As with regular mystery islands, Sentosa Crossing is likely to yield rare bugs and fish (nets and fishing rods out!).
For the ones with a Nintendo Switch Online subscription, here’s how you can bag yourself a Dodo code:
- Visit the registration page and choose a time slot — 10.30am to 11am; 11.30am to 12pm; 12.30pm to 1pm; 3.30pm to 4pm; and 4.30pm to 5pm — on a preferred day (Singapore time). Four players will be allowed in per slot
- Give your ACNH character name
- Leave an active email address — you will be notified at least once via email
- State your country of origin and answer correctly the question of the week
- Check off both mandatory items — ACNH game software and Nintendo Switch Online subscription
- Give your OK to the terms and conditions and you’ll be entered into the draw for your chosen slot
On behalf of ACNH’s affable Tom Nook from Resident Services, if you do get in, please bear in mind the usual game etiquette. Appreciate the landscape and intricate, custom-designed nook and crannies, and refrain from trampling and plucking flowers and spoiling other players’ selfie shots. Tip: Bring along a magic wand for quick outfit changes. And finally, share your adventure with us with these hashtags: #smilemag, #virtualsentosa, #stayhome, #traveltomorrow. Best of luck!
To know more, visit sentosa.com.sg/campaigns/virtualsentosa.